Land disposal policy
It is important that land in which Network Rail has an interest and which may be important to the continuing operation and future development of the network, and services relating to railways, is not disposed of against the public interest. Condition 17 of Network Rail's network licence safeguards against the inappropriate disposal of land assets.
Network Rail must seek our consent for any disposal not covered by a general consent.
Network Rail's obligations are set out in the document Land Disposal by Network Rail: The regulatory arrangements , December 2013. PDF, 303 Kb
Network Rail's role in land disposal
When Network Rail refers a disposal to us for consent, it must provide a description of the proposals plus evidence of stakeholders' views and final positions together with any commentary on them.
For every submission we expect Network Rail to consult the stakeholders set out below, depending on the geographical location of the proposed disposal. It is expected that passenger representative organisations will represent the overall comments or views of individuals using the railways when giving their views to Network Rail.
Parties that must be consulted:
- Department for Transport / Transport Scotland / Scottish Council for Development & Industry / Welsh Government
- Association of Train Operating Companies
- Rail Freight Group and Freight Transport Association
- Train operating companies (passenger and freight)
- Local authorities
- Passenger Transport Authorities and Passenger Transport Executives
- Transport for London
- Port and airport authorities (where relevant)
- British Transport Police
- Transport Focus / London TravelWatch
We will issue a decision, either granting or refusing consent within two months of the receipt of the application.
Latest land disposals
Details of current land disposal cases and previous decisions are available from our current land disposal cases page.
- Network licence granted to Network Rail PDF, 876 Kb
- Consultation on ORR's regulation of land disposals by Network Rail
- ORR's regulation of land disposals by Network Rail PDF, 60 Kb
- Land disposal by Network Rail: the regulatory arrangements PDF, 303 Kb
- The process for considering land disposal by Network Rail - ORR letter, 30 September 2010 PDF, 101 Kb