Serious incidents requiring notification by telephone
This page contains a list of fatalities, serious injuries and serious dangerous occurrences that need to be notified to us by telephone.
- Any accident (derailment, collision, fire etc.) to a passenger train, tram or guided transport system where fatalities or serious injuries occur to passengers, rail employees, other members of the public.
- Any serious accident to a train, tram or guided transport system (e.g. high speed derailment or head-on collision) even if there are no casualties.
- Any accident involving the release or combustion of dangerous goods from a train which necessitates the evacuation of railway personnel or the general public from the area affected.
- Any dangerous occurrence (see Chapter 5) involving a freight train carrying radioactive materials.
- Any collision between a train and a road vehicle at a level crossing whether or not there have been any injuries.
- Any pedestrian fatality at any type of level crossing.
- Any fatal accident or serious injury (life threatening) to a rail employee on duty.
- Any incident in which a passenger or their clothing or baggage is caught in the doors of a departing train in a manner likely to kill or injure that person. These incidents are required to be reported under RIDDOR only if:
- Any child (age under 18 years) trespasser fatally or seriously injured on the railway.
- Any fatality or life threatening injury to a passenger.
- The overturning or collapse of any crane, collapse of a high scaffold, collapse of a bridge or tunnel, failure of a structure which occurs on, or blocks, a railway.
- Any incident of a runaway involving a train, wagon, engineers' trolley or on-track machinery.
- Any incident which results or could have resulted in the release of a biological agent likely to cause severe human infection or illness (for example Legionella).
- Any reportable injury or dangerous occurrence not mentioned above which receives or is likely to receive media attention.