Overturning of a tram at Sandilands junction, Croydon
Shortly after 6:00 AM on Wednesday 9 November 2016, a tram travelling from New Addington to Wimbledon on the Croydon Tramlink Network overturned on a curve approaching Sandilands junction. Seven people lost their lives and many more were injured.
Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) report
RAIB published their report into the incident on 7 December 2017, making far-reaching recommendations on the tram sector and ORR as its regulator. In line with all other RAIB recommendations, ORR has a statutory obligation to report to RAIB on the status of the recommendations within 12 months of a report being published.
Implementation of many of the recommendations needs coordination on an industry-wide basis and it was therefore appropriate for ORR (as owner of two of the recommendations and given our legal responsibilities in relation to all RAIB recs) to facilitate the initial cross-industry collaboration.
We carefully considered the report and recommendations, including in discussions with the UK tram industry at a sector safety conference held in Manchester on 22 January 2018.
The Light Rapid Transit Safety and Standards Board (LRTSSB) steering group was established following the conference, with the aim of considering recommendations 1-8 on an industry wide basis. ORR sits on the steering group as an observer.
We welcome the cross industry approach that is already being taken to consider how to address the recommendations through the LRTSSB steering group and we encourage all end implementers of these recommendations to participate in that group’s activities.
- To ensure the tram industry takes the right actions in response, in the right order and with suitable pace.
- In particular:
- Reasonably practicable safety improvements are made, with a focus on improving control of risk and preventing (rather than simply mitigating) further accidents;
- Decisions are made based on sound evidence of the level of risk and the costs of intervention;
- Collaboration occurs to support consistent adoption of good practice and consensual decision-making around safety data, risk profiling and standards;
- Tram duty holders take collective ownership of the recommendations, but we hold them to account to demonstrate satisfactory progress.
Publications and updates
- Letter from Ian Prosser - 3 March 2020 PDF, 434 Kb
- Annex A-C - Update on recommendations 2 - 8 - 3 March 2020 PDF, 694 Kb
- Letter to RAIB giving update on Recommendation 11 - 25 June 2019 PDF, 194 Kb
- Letter to RAIB giving update on Recommendation 1
PDF, 135 Kb 5 April 2019
- Letter to RAIB giving update on Recommendation 9
PDF, 431 Kb - 5 April 2019
- Letter to RAIB giving update on Recommendations 3, 4, 5, 7 & 10
PDF, 225 Kb - 5 April 2019
- Letter from Ian Prosser - 4 December 2018 PDF, 711 Kb
- Annex A – ORR initial response to Sandilands RAIB report - 4 December 2018 PDF, 778 Kb
- Annex B – summary of end implementer correspondence - 4 December 2018 PDF, 1,294 Kb
- Letter to Tram Operations Ltd with regards to recommendations 10-13 - 14 September 2018 PDF, 236 Kb
- ORR e-mail to UK Tram with regards to recommendations 1 & 2 - 14 September 2018 PDF, 194 Kb
- ORR letter to Tram operators, Tram owners and Infrastructure Managers on recommendations 1 - 8 - 3 August 2018 PDF, 278 Kb
- Learning from Sandilands – Implementing RAIB's recommendations - Presentation by Ian Prosser CBE, HM Chief Inspector of Railways, at the UK Light Rail Conference - 16 July 2018 PDF, 578 Kb
- Interim response from ORR to RAIB - 6 April 2018 PDF, 150 Kb
- Letter to the Department for Transport (DfT) - 6 April 2018 PDF, 896 Kb
- Letter to UK Tram Ltd - 6 April 2018 PDF, 448 Kb
- ORR response to RAIB recommendations report - Letters to tram industry - 29 March 2018 PDF, 543 Kb
- ORR response to RAIB recommendations report - Letters to TfL/Tram Operations Ltd - 15 February 2018 PDF, 496 Kb
- Tram safety conference – ORR expectations - Presentation slides by Ian Prosser CBE, HM Chief Inspector of Railways, Office of Rail and Road - 22 January 2018 PDF, 1,026 Kb
- Notes of Manchester Tram Summit - 22 January 2018 PDF, 403 Kb
- Manchester Tram Summit invitation letter - 20 December 2017 PDF, 526 Kb