Condition 1 of the network licence sets out Network Rail's core obligations to secure the operation, maintenance, renewal and enhancement of the network in order to satisfy the reasonable requirements of its customers and funders. This covers both the quality and capability of the network and the facilitation of railway service performance. PDF, 876 Kb
The condition includes some specific obligations on Network Rail to:
- prepare and publish a delivery plan
- establish and maintain route utilisation strategies (RUSs)
- co-operate with potential operators or potential funders on allocation of capacity
- develop and apply asset policies and criteria demonstrating how it will meet its core obligations
- maintain appropriate, accurate and readily accessible information about its assets; and
- run an efficient and effective timetabling process.