Benchmarking Highways England's performance and efficiency
This page contains details of the Office of Rail and Road’s (ORR’s) plans and activities in benchmarking Highways England’s performance and efficiency.
One of the ORR’s core activities, as the Highways Monitor, is to benchmark Highways England’s performance and efficiency against comparable organisations, including in other countries or other sectors. This is a critical part of ensuring that we can:
- assess Highways England’s performance and efficiency;
- highlight both good and bad areas of performance; and
- identify where efforts would be best focused to improve outcomes for road users.
One of the major objectives of our benchmarking work will be to inform the development of future Road Investment Strategies (RIS). For example benchmarking will inform our assessment of whether Highways England’s Strategic Business Plan is challenging and deliverable within the applicable funding envelope, and will help in the development of the performance specification for future Road Periods.
This page brings together all of the published documents and reports relating to our Highways England benchmarking activities:
Benchmarking Highways England’s performance - 2016 progress report PDF, 3,157 Kb
14 December 2016
This document reports our initial progress in carrying out the plan we published in April 2016, structured around three broad areas:
- Regional comparisons – focusing on Highways England’s regional performance and initial analysis of factors affecting user satisfaction;
- International benchmarking – identifying a set of potential international comparators for Highways England and reporting initial international road safety comparisons; and
- Cross-sectoral analysis – where we have commissioned research on the operational efficiency improvements achieved in other sectors.
Our plan for benchmarking Highways England’s performance and efficiency PDF, 386 Kb
4 April 2016
This document sets out our long-term vision for Highways England to play a central role in networks covering a wide range of benchmarking activities and comparator organisations. However, such networks can take a long time to develop so the plan also sets out the areas where we will concentrate our benchmarking efforts in the shorter-term, focusing on areas that are most likely to inform the development of RIS2, particularly:
- internal benchmarking of performance and efficiency across Highways England’s regions; and
- safety, where comparable international data are more likely to be available.
We will provide an update on progress with, and any changes to, our plan before the end of 2016.
Benchmarking Highways England - Scoping study PDF, 1,514 Kb
We commissioned KPMG to review and assess existing highways benchmarking evidence and analysis, and to recommend how this could be used and developed by the ORR and Highways England. The recommendations made in this scoping study informed the development of our planned benchmarking programme, which we published in March 2016.