Licensing railway operators
Operating railway assets and providing passenger and freight train services are of national importance and we safeguard them in the public interest.
Background to operator licensing
Guidance explaining the legal framework and procedures we use when we consider licensing applications and the types of licences that are available.
Operators of railway assets must normally comply with conditions in their licences and the Statement of National Regulatory Provisions (SNRPs).
How to apply
Information about applying for a licence or licence exemption, the costs involved and the application forms you will need.
Model licences and Statements of National Regulatory Provisions (SNRPs)
Licence and SNRPs that we grant are based on these models.
Model licence exemptions
Licence exemptions in use in the Great Britain rail industry.
Current licensing applications
Proposals to grant licences or licence exemptions on which we are consulting.
Current licence exemptions
- Licensing General Authority PDF, 214 Kb
- Modifications to the "operator of last resort" passenger and station licences (Nexus) - 7 March 2012 PDF, 194 Kb
- Notice of changes to station licences, passenger licences and passenger SNRPs - 6 March 2012 PDF, 182 Kb
- Consent not to publish a code of practice (DfT) - 6 March 2012 PDF, 175 Kb
- Consent not to publish a code of practice (Transport Scotland) - 6 March 2012 PDF, 167 Kb
- Consent not to publish a code of practice (London Rail) - 6 March 2012 PDF, 107 Kb
- Notice of modifications to Eurostar's station licence and passenger SNRP - 6 March 2012 PDF, 193 Kb
- Notice of modification of Network Rail Infrastructure Limited's network licence - 7 February 2012 PDF, 190 Kb
- Notice of modifications to station licences and passenger SNRPs - 7 February 2012 PDF, 150 Kb
- Rail passengers' rights and obligations regulation (PRO): Notice of changes to station licences and passenger SNRPs - ORR notice - 4 November 2010 PDF, 112 Kb