Third party liability insurance notifications
Our approach to third party liability insurance requirements for operators.
The operation of railway assets will not normally be authorised before we have approved the relevant insurance arrangements.
Chapter 6 of our criteria and procedures for granting licences and licence exemptions sets out our requirements. PDF, 572 Kb
We do not conduct individual approval of operator third party liability insurance arrangements where these comply with our general approval . Operators' insurance brokers should send us confirmation that adequate insurance cover is in place, in line with the general approval. PDF, 77 Kb
To do this:
- please complete the Broker's Confirmation letter then ODT, 1,227 Kb
- forward to the Licensing regulation team every time an insurance policy is renewed.
The broker letter for Network Rail is available, as well as the PDF, 1,160 Kbconfirmation of cover for contractors . Contact the Licensing and network regulation team for copies of broker letters for any other individual operators. PDF, 180 Kb
We have granted some individual variations to the general approval. These are:
- Alstom Transport UK Limited/West Coast Traincare Limited - Variation letter PDF, 519 Kb
- Colas Rail Limited (formerly Amec Spie Rail (UK) Limited) - Variation letter PDF, 53 Kb
- Great Central Railway (Nottingham) Ltd - Variation letter PDF, 59 Kb
- Harsco Rail Ltd - Variation letter PDF, 1,793 Kb
- North York Moors Railway Enterprises PLC - Variation letter PDF, 83 Kb