HS1 periodic review 2019 (PR19)
This page includes information about the 2019 periodic review (PR19) of HS1 Ltd and control period 3 (2020-25).
The aim of PR19 is:
- To ensure the long-term sustainability of the network; and
- To ensure that the network is more Efficient, Safer, Better used, Reliable and Available for the benefit of current and future passengers and freight customers.
As the independent safety and economic regulator for Great Britain, we typically undertake a periodic review of HS1 Ltd every five years. This determines what HS1 Ltd must achieve in the next five-year control period, the funding required, and the incentives needed to encourage delivery and good performance. The review also looks at how HS1 Ltd should work together with train operators, suppliers and others to reduce costs and deliver more for customers.
Our approach to PR19
On 31 January 2018 we published our approach to PR19. This document sets out the approach we will take to the 2019 periodic review of HS1 Ltd (PR19). It sets out our approach reached as a result of our consideration of responses received to our PR19 initial consultation document. With this document we conclude our initial PR19 consultation for HS1 Limited.
Timeline for PR19
The timeline for PR19, included in our initial consultation, has been revised from the concession agreement to allow more time during the consultation process for HS1 Limited to carry out the planning and development of the 5YAMS, and for ORR to carry out the evaluation of the 5YAMS and prepare the final determination. These timeline changes are endorsed by Secretary or State, agreed with HS1 Limited, and are expected to be published to be published in a revised Concession Agreement by Department for Transport in late 2017.
Timeline for the initial consultation:
- We published our initial consultation on 28 September 2017.
- We sought responses to the initial consultation by 10 November 2017.
- We published our approach to PR19 by the end of January 2018.