Periodic review 2018: draft determination
Date published: 12 June 2018
Closing date: 31 August 2018
The 2018 periodic review (PR18) is the process through which we determine what Network Rail should deliver in respect of its role in operating, maintaining and renewing its network in control period 6 (CP6) and how the funding available should be best used to support this. CP6 will run from 2019-2024.
Our draft determination sets out our proposed decisions on this, along with our approach for how we will regulate Network Rail’s delivery in CP6. It is a key milestone in PR18. In particular, it reflects our review of Network Rail’s February 2018 strategic business plans (SBPs), which set out what it proposed to deliver in CP6.
Our draft determination includes separate proposed decisions for England & Wales and for Scotland, reflecting legislative requirements relating to how Network Rail is funded.
After reviewing responses to the draft determination, we will make our final decisions and publish these in October 2018. Further information on the PR18 timetable is available. A PR18 glossary is available which provides definitions and/or explanations for terms used in our PR18 draft determination documentation.
How to respond
Main overview documents
The draft determination includes a number of supporting documents:
- supplementary documents providing more detail on our SBP assessment
- supplementary documents providing more detail on the proposed policy framework for CP6
- draft settlement documents discussing the proposed settlements we intend to set for the Freight & National Passenger Operator route and System Operator
- route review summaries for England & Wales routes
Supplementary documents relating to our SBP assessment
- Health & safety supplementary document
- Scorecards and requirements:
- Review of Network Rail’s proposed costs supplementary document
and PR18 econometric top-down benchmarking of Network Rail
- Other single till income supplementary document
- Stakeholder engagement supplementary document
Supplementary documents relating to our policy approach
Charges and incentives
- Overview of charges and incentives decisions – supplementary document
- Infrastructure cost charges consultation - supplementary document and draft impact assessments:
- PR18 Infrastructure cost charges – Final impact assessment of units of traffic for levying infrastructure cost charges on open access operators
- PR18 Infrastructure cost charges – Final impact assessment on approach for levying infrastructure cost charges on franchised passenger operators
- PR18 Infrastructure cost charges – Draft impact assessment on the design of franchised passenger operators’ infrastructure cost charges
- PR18 Infrastructure cost charges – Draft impact assessment on the Network Rail methodology for allocating fixed costs to train operators
- Variable usage charge consultation - supplementary document and draft impact assessment
Draft settlement documents
System Operator draft settlement document
Freight & National Passenger Operator draft settlement document
For Scotland, please see the supporting annex to our Scotland executive summary
Route review summaries
The nature of our draft determination decisions in England & Wales, which requires Network Rail to do further planning, means we are not setting out draft settlements for these routes at this point.
We are, however, publishing an overview of our SBP engagement with each route, a summary of our overall decisions in England & Wales and our assessment of the stakeholder engagement that each route undertook to inform its strategic plan. We expect to publish settlement documents for these routes in October 2018.