Periodic review 2018: draft determination
Date published: 12 June 2018
Closing date: 31 August 2018
The 2018 periodic review (PR18) is the process through which we determine what Network Rail should deliver in respect of its role in operating, maintaining and renewing its network in control period 6 (CP6) and how the funding available should be best used to support this. CP6 will run from 2019-2024.
Our draft determination sets out our proposed decisions on this, along with our approach for how we will regulate Network Rail’s delivery in CP6. It is a key milestone in PR18. In particular, it reflects our review of Network Rail’s February 2018 strategic business plans (SBPs), which set out what it proposed to deliver in CP6.
Our draft determination includes separate proposed decisions for England & Wales and for Scotland, reflecting legislative requirements relating to how Network Rail is funded.
After reviewing responses to the draft determination, we will make our final decisions and publish these in October 2018. Further information on the PR18 timetable is available.
How to respond
Main overview documents
Executive summary – England & Wales PDF, 202 Kb
Executive summary – Scotland PDF, 667 Kb
PR18 draft determination: overview of decisions and approach PDF, 2,082 Kb
The draft determination includes a number of supporting documents:
- supplementary documents providing more detail on our SBP assessment
- supplementary documents providing more detail on the proposed policy framework for CP6
- draft settlement documents discussing the proposed settlements we intend to set for the Freight & National Passenger Operator route and System Operator
- route review summaries for England & Wales routes
Supplementary documents relating to our SBP assessment
- Health & safety supplementary document PDF, 329 Kb
- Scorecards and requirements:
- Review of Network Rail’s proposed costs supplementary document (forthcoming)
- Other single till income supplementary document PDF, 243 Kb
- Stakeholder engagement supplementary document PDF, 308 Kb
Supplementary documents relating to our policy approach
Charges and incentives
- Overview of charges and incentives decisions – supplementary document PDF, 332 Kb
- Infrastructure cost charges consultation - supplementary document and draft impact assessments: PDF, 453 Kb
- PR18 Infrastructure cost charges – Final impact assessment of units of traffic for levying infrastructure cost charges on open access operators (forthcoming)
- PR18 Infrastructure cost charges – Final impact assessment on approach for levying infrastructure cost charges on franchised passenger operators (forthcoming)
- PR18 Infrastructure cost charges – Draft impact assessment on the design of franchised passenger operators’ infrastructure cost charges (forthcoming)
- PR18 Infrastructure cost charges – Draft impact assessment on the Network Rail methodology for allocating fixed costs to train operators (forthcoming)
- variable usage charge consultation - supplementary document and draft impact assessment (forthcoming) PDF, 402 Kb
Draft settlement documents
System Operator draft settlement document PDF, 605 Kb
Freight & National Passenger Operator draft settlement document PDF, 263 Kb
For Scotland, please see the supporting annex to our Scotland executive summary PDF, 667 Kb
Route review summaries
The nature of our draft determination decisions in England & Wales, which requires Network Rail to do further planning, means we are not setting out draft settlements for these routes at this point.
We are, however, publishing an overview of our SBP engagement with each route, a summary of our overall decisions in England & Wales and our assessment of the stakeholder engagement that each route undertook to inform its strategic plan. We expect to publish settlement documents for these routes in October 2018.
- Anglia route review summary (forthcoming)
- London North Eastern & East Midlands route review summary (forthcoming)
- London North Western route review summary (forthcoming)
- South East route review summary (forthcoming)
- Wales route review summary PDF, 197 Kb
- Wessex route review summary (forthcoming)
- Western route review summary (forthcoming)