Highways Monitor - Annual assessment of Highways England’s performance
Good start to delivery but future planning needs focus
This is the Office of Rail and Road’s first annual assessment of Highways England’s performance and delivery of its investment plan, covering the period from April 2015 to March 2016. PDF, 2,335 Kb
Highways England is the government-owned company responsible for England’s strategic road network.
Our report finds that Highways England has made a good start on delivering £15 billion of investment in England’s strategic road network by 2020-21.
The company now needs to implement a more robust internal planning process to make sure that future targets are met in this first five year Roads Period.
Laid in Parliament today, (13 July 2016), the Annual Assessment of Highways England’s Performance April 2015 – March 2016, found that:
- There has been a reduction in the number of people killed and seriously injured over the last year, but continued focus is needed to achieve the target of a 40% reduction by 2020.
- Highways England has exceeded its targets for maintaining network availability, clearing motorway incidents, and maintaining the quality of the road surface.
- Highways England has spent in line with its funding in 2015-16.
- It has also progressed its environmental strategies and plans, including publishing its biodiversity action plan.
Over the next year, Highways England needs to:
- Improve the robustness of its plans for capital investment delivery, and its capability for portfolio, programme and project management.
- Improve data quality, transparency of its plans and performance, and begin planning for the next Road Investment Strategy, covering the period 2020-2025.
- Annual Assessment of Highways England’s performance (web version) PDF, 2,335 Kb
- Annual Assessment of Highways England’s performance (print version) PDF, 2,531 Kb
- Annual Assessment of Highways England’s performance (summary) PDF, 1,865 Kb
- Infographic: what Highways England need to deliver by 2020 PDF, 281 Kb
Watch Peter Antolik of ORR explain our role in assessing Highways England's performance
Previous assessments of Highways England’s performance
- Our six month review of Highways England’s performance %asset_summary_19955 (web version)
- Our six month review of Highways England’s performance %asset_summary_19956 (print version)
- Our infographic on what Highways England need to deliver by 2020 PDF, 281 Kb