This page enables users to access:
- our proposals about changes to statistics;
- changes in methodology prior to publication;
- papers of work we are working closely on with the industry; and
- our consultations with the rail industry.
We actively seek feedback from users of the statistics and will highlight where there is opportunity to take part. We will highlight documents where we are looking for feedback from the users of the statistics.
Read our Statement on user engagement . PDF, 30 Kb
This section provides details on our proposed changes to our statistical publications. It outlines our proposals and asks for feedback from users of the statistics. The feedback received will inform our decisions about any potential changes and may influence our decisions.
- ORR is redeveloping the data portal. The new portal is due to go live in early 2019. The key changes are:
- Statistical releases and supporting data tables available on the same site
- Customisable graphs and charts
- Improved navigation
- ORR began collecting delay compensation data from train operators in April 2018 and intends to publish this information for the first time on 10 January 2019. A factsheet and data table will show the volumes of delay compensation claims dealt with by train operators, and the percentage of those claims which have been responded to within 20 working days. The data will be shown for each operator for rail periods 1 to 7 (1 April 2018 to 13 October 2018). Following this publication, the data will be published every quarter on the ORR Data Portal. See ORR’s publication timetable for the future release dates.
- ORR is proposing to update the tables on the data portal, which show data disaggregated by the 10 Network Rail routes to show the up-to-date 8 route structure, e.g. Temporary Speed Restrictions tables. We also intend to publish more route level tables in 2019-20 for Control Period 6.
- Proposed changes to other statistical publications during 2019-20 to reflect new or changed data and reporting for Control Period 6 will be added to this page in the near future and be consulted on with Rail statistics management group (RSMG).
If you have any comments or queries on these proposed changes, please contact email@example.com.
Improving rail data
A number of reviews have been commissioned by us to ensure that its data are robust and align with stakeholder requirements. Links to the reports can be found below:
- Statistical outputs and ORR data portal - survey results
- Survey on Statistical releases and Quality reports – feedback from users and implementation process PDF, 201 Kb
- Office of National Statistics review of rail fares index - a methodological review of the rail fares index and recommendations on improving the dataset. PDF, 431 Kb
- The NRT Portal newsletters are available on the ORR Data Portal.
- NRT Data Portal user group meeting note - Tuesday 5 March 2013 . PDF, 88 Kb
- National rail trends portal survey, September 2011 - a summary of the results and key findings from the portal survey. It also includes how we are addressing the key findings from the survey. PDF, 108 Kb
- ORR survey form for NRT data portal – a copy of the online survey from sent to registered users of the NRT data portal to assess the quality, timeliness and format of the portal. PDF, 398 Kb
- ORR data portal enhancements report – by Research Works PDF, 1,066 Kb
Rail statistics management group
The Rail statistics management group (RSMG) is composed of the main industry participants where we discuss possible improvements to rail statistics and research in the rail industry.
We welcome feedback. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any comments or suggestions.