Tramway technical guidance
Technical guidance notes for tramways - providing additional guidance for promoters, developers and designers of tramways.
These technical guidance have been issued by us with the initial intention of addressing the immediate lack of specific standards that apply to the design, construction and operation of UK tramways. They represent good practice for tramways and supplement the existing general standards, guidance and Regulations that are applicable to such operations and should be read in conjunction with them.
The guidance notes are the result of consideration and agreement by representatives drawn from the current operators, manufacturers and maintainers of UK tramway systems that formed our Tramway Standards Group. Assistance has also been sought from European standards bodies such as Verband Deutscher Verkehrsunternehmen (VDV) and academic institutions such as Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Safety critical controls in tram cabs PDF, 109 Kb
- Tram design and construction PDF, 216 Kb
- Application of highway legislation to tramcars PDF, 580 Kb
- Stray currents PDF, 431 Kb
- Pedestrian safety PDF, 345 Kb
- Design requirements for street track PDF, 966 Kb