This is where you can find out about:
- our proposals about changes to statistics;
- changes in methodology prior to publication;
- papers of work we are working closely on with the industry; and
- our consultations with the rail industry.
We actively seek feedback from users of the statistics and will highlight where there is opportunity to take part. We will highlight documents where we are looking for feedback from the users of the statistics.
Read our Statement on user engagement
This section provides details on our proposed changes to our statistical publications. It outlines our proposals and asks for feedback from users of the statistics. The feedback received will inform our decisions about any potential changes and may influence our decisions.
There are currently no proposed changes.
Rail statistics management group
We currently chair two industry groups to ensure that our data meet stakeholder needs and are of good quality:
The Rail statistics management group (RSMG) meets quarterly and is made up of a number of member organisations. Current members are:
- Association of Train Operating Companies
- Department for Transport
- London Travelwatch
- Network Rail
- Office of Rail Regulation (ORR)
- Passenger Focus
- Rail Freight group
- Rail Safety and Standards Board
- Transport for London
- Transport Scotland
- The Welsh Assembly
The RSMG is made up of lead statisticians or data specialists that have responsibility for the production and use of rail data in their respective organisations and the group deals with the improvement of rail statistics.
National rail trends stakeholder group - We hold a quarterly forum, the NRT stakeholder group, with participants from a variety of industry stakeholders, representing passengers, train operators and government to discuss their requirements and also to ratify our proposals on data improvements.
This is also an ideal place for us to seek feedback from industry stakeholders on our statistics.
Minutes for previous RSMG meetings:
- 25 March 2014 PDF, 250 Kb
- 8 July 2013 PDF, 105 Kb
- 11 November 2013 PDF, 147 Kb
- 30 January 2013 PDF, 143 Kb
- Regional usage profiles - Origin Destination Matrix 2012/13 - Summary report Published 24 Apr 2014 PDF, 258 Kb
- Regional usage profiles - Origin Destination Matrix 2011/12 - Summary report Published 1 Aug 2013 PDF, 279 Kb
- The impact of publishing more information on seat availability: South West Trains case study Published 26 Jul 2012 PDF, 366 Kb
- Regional usage profiles - Origin Destination Matrix 2010/11 - Summary report Published 26 Apr 2012 PDF, 498 Kb
- Regional usage profiles - Origin Destination Matrix 2009/10 - Summary report Published 13 Oct 2011 PDF, 700 Kb
- Passenger journeys, passenger kilometres and complaints rate - Why are data provisional? Published 31 Oct 2011 PDF, 44 Kb
Improving rail data
A number of reviews have been commissioned by us to ensure that its data are robust and align with stakeholder requirements. Links to the reports can be found below:
- Office of National Statistics review of rail fares index - a methodological review of the rail fares index and recommendations on improving the dataset. PDF, 431 Kb
- NRT Data Portal user group meeting note - Tuesday 5 March 2013 . PDF, 88 Kb
- National rail trends portal survey, September 201 1 - a summary of the results and key findings from the portal survey. It also includes how we are addressing the key findings from the survey. PDF, 108 Kb
- Office of Rail Regulation survey form for NRT data portal – a copy of the online survey from sent to registered users of the NRT data portal to assess the quality, timeliness and format of the portal. PDF, 398 Kb
- Putting rail information in the public domain ( – a report from ORR and Passenger Focus on research carried out into what performance measures passengers wanted published, how it should be made publicly available, how they would use it and what benefits they saw it would bring. We see this initiative as being fully consistent with the Government's open data agenda. PDF, 1,330 Kb
- Review of National rail trends, 2006 – a review of the datasets within the NRT, with recommendations on how to improve quality. PDF, 544 Kb
- Improving rail data, 2006 – an overview of Network Rail's systems and sets out a process for assessing industry datasets against a Data Code. PDF, 3,304 Kb
- National rail trends stakeholder survey, 2007 – to determine who used NRT and what improvements / further data they would like to see. PDF, 47 Kb
We welcome feedback. Please send an email to email@example.com with any comments or suggestions and we will reply to you.Last updated - 21 August 2014