Network Rail's obligations to provide asset management processes, policies and information are set out in licence condition 1, in particular conditions 1.19 to 1.22.
1.19 In complying with the general duty in condition 1.2, the licence holder shall;
- develop the policies and criteria it will apply in respect of the maintenance, renewal, replacement, improvement, enhancement and development of the relevant assets, which shall demonstrate how the licence holder will comply with the general duty in condition 1.2;
- apply those policies and criteria; and
- make appropriate information about those policies and criteria readily accessible to persons providing services relating to railways and funders, including potential providers and potential funders.
1.20 The licence holder shall maintain appropriate, accurate and readily accessible information about the relevant assets, including their condition, capability and capacity
1.21 ORR may permit the licence holder to exclude from the definition of 'relevant assets' assets of such description or classes as shall be provided to and approved by ORR.
1.22 The licence holder shall from time to time and when so directed by the ORR review and, if necessary, revise the policies and criteria provided for in condition 1.19 to ensure that they remain sufficient to comply with the general duty in condition 1.2.
These clauses provide ORR with the ability to enforce a wide range of asset management and asset information compliance issues with Network Rail.
The current issues related to Network Rail's asset management practices are reported quarterly in our Network Rail Monitor within the asset management section. The key areas that we monitor and report on include asset planning, delivery and performance.
Asset management compliance
An asset management assessment framework forms the basis of the on-going development and improvement reviews carried out by the ORR to ensure that Network Rail complies with licence condition 1, asset management. In summary, the framework considers Network Rail's asset management performance, capability and maturity in the following 6 areas:
- Strategy & planning
- Whole-life cost justification
- Lifecycle management & delivery
- Asset knowledge management
- Capability development
- Review & improvement
ORR has set Network Rail a number of output measures as part of the periodic review 2013 (PR13) final determination including the following areas: PDF, 3,983 Kb
- Improved asset knowledge
- Decision support tools to provide informed choices about interventions
- Enabling better asset management by improving capability
- Improved asset systems - single source of truth with better tools to analyse data
- Improving faults management system
We are also monitoring Network Rail’s commitment to:
- Remote condition monitoring
- Risk based maintenance
- Asset performance and reliability
- Renewals and maintenance activities
- Compliance with asset policies
In certain circumstances as outlined in the Network Rail licence conditions ORR uses independent reporters to audit Network Rail’s business functions and any areas of concern.
We retain a list of reports detailing the recommendations from the audits which are published on our website. We review progress on a regular basis to ensure that Network Rail addresses the recommendations.
- Shaping Station Stewardship Measure, SSM Working Group Report PDF, 745 Kb
31 July 2013
The Station Stewardship Measure (SSM) is the regulatory measure for station asset condition for Control Period 4 (CP4) from 2009 to 2014. The SSM measures the asset condition of a station's building fabric and building services (including canopies, platforms and lighting). Whilst SSM will remain a condition measure used in CP5 from 2014, with the possible transfer of maintenance and renewal responsibilities to train operators as part of the future station refranchising programme it is appropriate to review the current measure and consider whether there is a need to develop the SSM to better suit these revised asset management arrangements. Faithful+Gould was appointed in December 2012 by ORR to facilitate a working group and report on the initial 'shaping' phase of a possible development of the existing SSM measure.
- Management of structures transformation plan PDF, 1,074 Kb
- Network Rail's maintenance capability PDF, 230 Kb
- Letter to Peter Henderson Director of Asset Management Network Rail PDF, 108 Kb
- Management of structures transformation plan - Letter to Network Rail PDF, 131 Kb
23 November 2011
- Buildings & civils asset management transformation programme - Programme recommendation tracker PDF, 434 Kb
20 November 2011
- Asset policies conclusions - letter to Network Rail PDF, 74 Kb
1 June 2010
- Gauging data strategy - ORR letter to Network Rail PDF, 59 Kb
1 March 2010
- Gauging data strategy letter from Network Rail PDF, 893 Kb
17 December 2009
- ORR letter to Network Rail on compliance PDF, 188 Kb