Comments invited on Railway Safety Regulations 1999 exemption application – train protection arrangements for running of Crossrail trains between Paddington and Heathrow Airport Junction
Date published: 2 September 2015
Closing date: 27 October 2015
We invited comments on an exemption application we received from Network Rail Infrastructure Limited in association with Crossrail Limited and MTR Corporation (Crossrail) Limited concerning the train protection arrangements for the running of Class 345 Crossrail passenger trains between Paddington and Heathrow Tunnel Junction. The Railway Safety Regulations 1999 set out the requirements for train protection systems in detail and the applicants considered that what they were proposing for this period of time would require an exemption from those Regulations. PDF, 52 Kb
The exemption would be for a limited period from 20 May 2018 until 31 December 2019 as a fall–back option if the European Train Control System (ETCS) for train protection arrangements cannot be installed and in service within this timeframe. The alternative train protection system, for which this exemption was sought, would provide enhanced deployment of the Train Protection Warning System (TPWS). The arguments and justifications for this were set out in the exemption application, including how the applicants considered that the arrangements they proposed would meet any safety concerns.
We have now considered the comments received from stakeholders and conducted our assessment of the detailed safety and technical information provided in support of the exemption application. We have concluded that an exemption with conditions should be granted.
- Our decision letter explaining our reasoning for deciding to grant an exemption. PDF, 870 Kb
- The signed exemption certificate with conditions. PDF, 583 Kb
- A summary of the comments received from stakeholders and ORR’s response. PDF, 58 Kb
- We prepared a qualitative impact assessment to support our decision. PDF, 38 Kb
- We also provide a link to some supplementary, independent risk assessment commissioned by Network Rail during our consideration of their exemption application that was not available at the time we invited stakeholder comments. PDF, 1,279 Kb
Network Rail's exemption application report
- Crossrail train protection (Plan B) - Railway Safety Regulations 1999 exemption application report
PDF, 1,773 Kb