Review of ORR’s economic enforcement policy and penalties statement
Date published: 8 December 2014
Closing date: 6 February 2015
One of our core statutory functions is to grant licences for railway businesses. A licence (or in some instances a licence exemption) is required to operate a train, station, network or light maintenance depot.
ORR's economic enforcement policy and penalties statement explains our policy for enforcing licences (Network Rail and industry operators). It sets out in detail what powers we have to enforce compliance with the licence. It also sets out the remedies available to us if licence holders are not compliant and how we will decide whether and when to use them.
Our economic enforcement policy and penalties statement was last updated in 2012. We have now reviewed this policy and statement to ensure that it is consistent with our strategic objectives, is still fit for purpose for this control period and provides effective guidance and clarity to all licence holders.
Final enforcement policy and penalties statement
- ORR’s economic enforcement policy and penalties statement for railway licence holders PDF, 343 Kb
9 December 2015
- Cover note and summary of consultation responses PDF, 178 Kb
9 December 2015
- Impact assessment PDF, 61 Kb
Our consultation document outlined options around how our policy and relevant processes could be improved, enabling greater flexibility in taking effective licence enforcement.
- Enforcement policy and penalties statement review - consultation on options for improvement PDF, 385 Kb
8 December 2014
- ASLEF PDF, 45 Kb
- CAA PDF, 414 Kb
- DB Schenker PDF, 23 Kb
- Department for Transport (DfT) PDF, 53 Kb
- Govia PDF, 75 Kb
- London TravelWatch PDF, 38 Kb
- North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) PDF, 188 Kb
- Rail Delivery Group (RDG) PDF, 320 Kb
- Rail Freight Group (RFG) PDF, 22 Kb
- Passenger Focus PDF, 78 Kb
- RMT PDF, 49 Kb
- Transport for London (TfL) PDF, 94 Kb
- Transport Scotland PDF, 336 Kb
How does ORR regulate?
ORR’s economic enforcement policy below shows our phased approach to taking action in order to incentivise better future results for rail and road users.