HS1 performing on target: ORR’s Annual Report on HS1 Ltd released today
29 July 2016
Office of Rail and Road (ORR) today released its annual report on HS1 Ltd for the period 2015-16. HS1 Ltd has a 30-year concession to operate and maintain the railway between St Pancras and the Channel Tunnel.
The report found that in general, HS1 Ltd has been meeting, and in some cases exceeding, their expected outcomes for the period.
- Performance was significantly better than the floor target. Excluding four major trespass incidents which raised the overall delay average, the average was 5.1 seconds delay per train – improving on HS1’s internal target of 5.5 seconds.
- Traffic volume has increased. There were around 1750 more trains per year than were assumed in the last periodic review (PR14), mainly due to the increase on the St Pancras – Ashford domestic route.
- Overall, HS1 Ltd’s income exceeded expenditure by £1.6m, which represents £3m of financial outperformance relative to our determination.
The report also noted that although a number of passengers have experienced significant delays over the past year, particularly those travelling on international services, these issues have largely been caused by factors that were not attributable to HS1 Ltd.
Graham Richards, Interim Director of Railway Planning and Performance, said:
It is positive to see the company has performed well in the last financial year, as we would expect for a young railway with relatively new infrastructure assets
We will continue to work with HS1 Ltd to ensure that the network continues to meet the needs of its customers, so that a safe, efficient, high-value asset is returned to government at the end of the concession period.
Notes to editors
- The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) is the UK’s rail regulator and highways monitor for England. ORR protects the interests of rail and road users; improving the safety, value and performance of railways and roads, today and in the future. Follow us @railandroad.
- ORR’s annual report on HS1 Ltd 2015-2016 is available on our website at: http://orr.gov.uk/what-and-how-we-regulate/high-speed-1/annual-reports-on-hs1-ltd/