When you join ORR
Once you have accepted your new role with us, we'd like to make sure you have all the information you need before you start work with us.
What happens next?
There are few things that need to happen before you join and we'll be in touch with you along the way:
Your offer pack
You will receive your offer pack, via email, which will include the following information. You can access most of this information through the website.
- Conditional employment schedule – this sets out your offer of employment and will be sent to you separately;
- Summary of terms and conditions of service – this sets out the generic terms and conditions for your role; PDF, 495 Kb
- New starter information form – this ensures that we have all the necessary personal information for you and asks you to confirm that you have read the key ORR policies; DOCX, 59 Kb
- An online health questionnaire - our occupational health service need to find out whether there are any health concerns that we should be aware of;
- Disclosure application form – under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974) we need to check unspent convictions. The form will be sent to you separately;
- Pensions questionnaire – this will enable us to offer you the appropriate pension; and DOC, 338 Kb
- Starter checklist: Employee without a form P45 – in the absence of your P45. PDF, 223 Kb
Please return the completed paperwork to the Human Resources (HR) department as soon as possible. We will need to do your pre-employment checks straight away so that you can start work at the earliest opportunity.
If you have any questions about your offer pack, then please contact HR or telephone 020 7282 3953.
You can find further information from our 'employee handbook', referred to in your terms and conditions.
We need to do the following pre-employment checks before you start work. Once this process is complete, we will contact you to confirm your start date. On average, this process takes around one month.
We will contact the two referees that you detailed in your application form. Where possible, please let your referees know that we'll be contacting them.
Baseline security clearance We are required to carry out a baseline security check on all new staff. We will post a disclosure application form to you. You will need to return this form to HR as soon as possible, with the relevant documents listed in the guidance notes - that will be sent to you separately.
Health check If you indicate in your health check form that you there is a health concern that we need to be aware of, then the Occupational Health Service will contact you for more information. This will enable us to make any adjustments to your working arrangements where necessary.
Eligibility to work We will need to check your passport to confirm that you have the right to work in the UK and to check your identity.
Qualifications We will need to see proof of the qualifications that are essential to your job, if we have not seen this already.
Meet the team
We hope that you can visit us before you start work and encourage you to arrange this with your new line manager. This will give you the opportunity to meet your new team and gain a better understanding of the work you will be doing.
Confirming your offer
You will receive your unconditional offer by email once all the necessary pre-employment checks have completed and we have confirmed your start date.
Once you have joined ORR, you will find out more about ORR and the work you will be doing. Your first day will include:
- Meeting your line manager – to talk through all the key things you need to know before you start work
- An IS induction – to make sure that you can access all the IS systems that you will need;
- A facilities induction – to cover health and safety in particular
- Speak with HR – to check we have all your paperwork and deal with any outstanding HR queries
During your first few months, you will be able to access a range of learning and development opportunities, most of which are provided by Civil Service Learning these include face-to-face courses, e-learning packages and downloadable learning resources. The products available cover a huge range of subjects such as leadership and management, and core skills such as project management, IS and finance.
There will also be some key ORR events that you should attend to find out more about the work we do.
There is an itinerary here to help you to work through your induction. You can ensure that you have covered everything you need to help you settle into your new role. We will ask you for feedback about your induction after your first two weeks, to check that you have covered everything that you need. PDF, 214 Kb
Your terms and conditions of employment refer to the following key policies that you need to be aware of. They are here for your reference:
- Conduct policy PDF, 152 Kb
- Discipline policy PDF, 875 Kb
- Conflicts of interest policy PDF, 59 Kb
- Civil Service code
Civil Service reform
ORR had updated its terms and conditions of employment as part of Civil Service Reform. For more information on how this will affect you, please follow the link to our rewards & benefits page rewards & benefits. It is the candidate's responsibility to ensure they are aware of the Terms and Conditions they will adopt should they be successful in their application.
It is the candidate's responsibility to ensure they are aware of the Terms and Conditions they will adopt should they be successful in application.
If you require further information, you can contact Human resources.