A summary of the different railway industry companies and organisations we work with as part of our role as the safety and economic regulator of Britain's railways.
- Network Rail – the rail infrastructure owner and operator.
- Train operating companies – who operate passenger trains.
- Freight operating companies – who operate freight trains.
- Freight customers – who have a direct interest in rail freight, but do not operate trains.
- Rolling stock companies – who own and lease trains to train operating companies.
- Rail Delivery Group – responsible for coordinating and leading on cross industry initiatives.