Our vision and strategy
Our long-term vision for the mainline railway industry is a partnership of Network Rail, operators, suppliers and funders working together to meet the needs of passengers and freight customers and deliver a safe, high performing, efficient and developing railway.
Our strategy focuses on how we; as the independent economic and safety regulator, will help the industry to meet these challenges and achieve a better public interest outcome.
Our vision of success for Britain's railways
- Zero workforce and industry-caused passenger fatalities, with an ever-decreasing overall safety risk.
- Satisfaction levels of passengers and freight customers being equivalent to the best in railways and other forms of transport.
- Efficiency equivalent to that achieved by the best comparable railways in the world.
Our principal roles
- Securing delivery by the industry of its regulatory obligations.
- Helping the mainline railway meet its long-term challenges.
- Enhancing and keeping under review the industry's framework of incentives, accountabilities and competition.
Our five strategic objectives for 2013-14
1. Drive for a safer railway:
Enforce the law and ensure that the industry delivers continuous improvement in the health and safety of passengers, the workforce and public, by achieving excellence in health and safety culture, management and risk control.
2. Support a better service for customers:
Use our powers to hold the industry to account for performance and standards of service across the railway network, for passengers and freight. Promote on-going improvement in the experience of passengers by encouraging the industry to work together, including to provide greater transparency of information.
3. Secure value for money from the railway, for users and funders:
Strengthen incentives for the whole industry to work together to drive greater efficiency from the use and maintenance of existing railway capacity, and more cost-effective investment in the network.
4. Promote an increasingly dynamic and commercially sustainable sector:
Support sustainable economic growth by promoting innovation and efficient long-term investment across the rail industry through the appropriate development of effective markets and regulatory intervention.
5. Be a high-performing regulator:
Develop and apply proportionate and risk-based regulation, taking a whole-sector approach. Make more effective use of our resources across safety and economic functions, maximise the value of our regulation while minimising the costs of compliance for the industry.Last updated - 6 February 2014