How we work
We plan our annual activities in the context of our long-term vision, based on our strategic objectives as an independent regulator.
These are set out in our business plan and are as follows:
- Driving for a safer railway;
- Supporting a better service for customers;
- Securing value for money from the railway;
- Promoting an increasingly dynamic and commercially sustainable sector;
- Securing improved performance and value for money from the strategic road network; and
- Being a high-performing regulator.
How we prioritise our activities
We apply prioritisation criteria to help us focus our resource in a way that will deliver most value out of our interventions.
Information about our parliamentary accountability.
We have two statutory duties under the Railways Act 1993 which specifically relate to sustainable development and the environment.