Diversity and inclusion
We're committed to the principles of diversity and equality: both as an employer, and as a safety and economic regulator. In accordance with the Equality Act 2010, we have drafted specific and measurable targets that we work towards. We:
- eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- promote equality of opportunity between people who share a 'protected characteristic' (such as age, disability or race) and those who do not
- foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic.
Our diverse backgrounds, experience and talents are critical in securing our success as a regulator. We make every effort to ensure that our people practices reflect the true value of every individual, and that we continually foster an open and inclusive workplace. Our workforce information helps us achieve our ambitions in this respect. We can monitor our progress and tackle any areas of concern, and all results are published annually.
ORR as an employer
Our different backgrounds, experience and talents of our staff are critical to ensuring our success as the regulator of Britain's railway. We work to ensure that our people practices reflect the value we put on these differences, so that we can make the most of these differences and foster an open and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued for the part they play in that success.
Our workforce information helps us to monitor our progress in this respect, and identify and tackle any areas of concern. This information is reviewed regularly, and can be found below. In accordance with the Equality Act 2010, this information will be published annually.
ORR as a regulator
Equality and diversity considerations also play a role in our capacity as the safety and economic regulator of railways in Great Britain. The document below outlines our primary regulatory functions, the relevance that these have to protected characteristics, and how we show due regard to the three arms of the equality duty. This information will be published annually.
ORR's equality objectives
To ensure that ORR lives out its commitment to equality, and gives due regard to the three arms of the Equality Act, we have drafted equality objectives. These are specific and measurable targets that we will be working towards, as a regulator and as an employer.
ORR gender pay gap and diversity report
Legislation introduced in April 2017 requires all organisations of 250 or more employees to publish their gender pay gap data annually.
The gender pay gap is the difference between the average earnings of men and women, expressed relative to men’s earnings.
This is the Office of Rail and Road’s (ORR) data.
- ORR’s single equality scheme PDF, 82 Kb
- ORR's Equality information January 2017 PDF, 365 Kb
- ORR's Equality information - January 2016 PDF, 132 Kb
- ORR's Equality information - January 2015 PDF, 103 Kb
- ORR's Equality information - January 2014 PDF, 104 Kb
- ORR's Equality information - January 2013 (PDF 135 Kb)
- ORR's Equality information - January 2012 (PDF 155 Kb)
- ORR activities and equality information table (PDF 233 Kb)
- ORR's Equality Objectives PDF, 46 Kb